Losing fat is simple, but improving body composition and toning muscles can be a bit trickier. It requires the use of some specific training methods along with smart nutrition. Fat loss training has to be one of the hardest mental challenges, even more so than a physical problem, you will need to start every day with the motivation to push yourself and meet your goals. It’s important to know which exercises will get you the best and fastest results when it comes to burning fat so that you can concentrate your efforts on these.
The following 7 exercises are some of the most effective for achieving fat burning results, and all can be undertaken whether you’re working out in a gym or at home:
- Squats: Squats are undoubtedly one of the best lower body exercises you can do. If you are into sports, then squats are a must. This is because they mimic the exact patterns of sprinting and jumping. The more you can squat, the more fit your lower body will be. They’re also fantastic if you’re looking to specifically tone up your thighs. For really impressive results however, try squats with weights. Nothing will get you slimmer, stronger and firmer than squats.
- Walking: Walking is one of the most gentle but effective methods for burning fat. Adding an hour of brisk walking to your routine can do wonders for your weight loss program. It is also interesting to note that walking lowers cortisol levels in your body so it will help you to unwind and relax. A reasonably rapid walking pace usually uses about 300 to 400 calories in an hour. If you are walking for an hour every day for a week, then your calorie expenditure comes up to around 2500-2800 calories. This helps you to shed 4 to 5 pounds of fat over a period of 12 weeks. If you are someone who is not into hard-core fat loss exercises, then walking is an ideal option for you.
- Surya Namaskar: Surya Namaskar, also known as one of the basic yoga asanas, focuses on specific different body parts. Moreover, it also works wonders for your weight loss regime. The term Surya Namaskar translates to ‘sun salutation’. It comprises of a series of 12 different poses. However, the three primary poses are the prayer pose, bhujangasana and forward bend. It helps you to strengthen your ligaments and skeleton system. It is also a great way to reduce anxiety and relieve stress, thereby helping you to maintain your mental wellbeing.
- Swimming: This is another gentle, easy, fat burning form of exercise that can be undertaken by those of all ages without the help of any specialised equipment. Swimming workouts burn fat, tone your muscles, relax you, and help you get stronger and healthier. Despite the fact that swimming feels very gentle on your body, when you are doing lengths of the pool, you are actually burning more than 500-700 calories per hour. Whether you do a breaststroke or butterfly, swimming helps you to engage major muscle groups. It strengthens your abdomen, back muscles as well as your hips and glutes. If you engage in an hour’s swimming every day, it can be your main form of weight loss exercise. So go ahead, make a splash and tone up your body.
- Zumba: If you hate going to gyms, but you want to engage in some form of cardio exercise, then Zumba could be your ideal weight loss training partner. It is a mixture of Latin American dance and aerobic fitness exercises, and is a great feel-good way to improve your fitness levels. A Zumba class typically combines fast and slow rhythms that tone and sculpt the body using principles from aerobic and fitness to achieve cardio and muscle-toning benefits. It is a fun but effective way to incorporate exercise into your daily routine and burn some serious calories. And amidst all those salsa and merengue dance routines, you will have a whole lot of fun.
- Strength training: There is a general notion that lifting weights makes your body bulkier. Though this notion is true to some extent, it also helps you to slim down. Moreover, it also acts as a catalyst in your metabolism system. Strength training is based on the fact that the secret to losing weight is to build muscles. This form of exercise usually requires the intervention of a physical trainer. On the other hand, you can also opt for circuit training, which tests your fitness by moving from one form of exercise to another in succession. Phenomenally, it burns 30% more calories than a typical weight workout.
- High-Intensity Interval Training: Intensity is the key when you are determined to shed weight. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) comprises of short durations of high intensity bursts of exercise, followed by periods of rest. The results of HIIT are quite astonishing, which is why it has gained so much popularity in recent years, as it speeds up your body’s fat-burning potential. HIIT also supplements your body’s growth hormones. It also mobilises fat to be used as fuel. It is termed a smart strategy to help you lose weight at a rapid pace as so much fat burning can be achieved in such short bursts of exercise, making it great for those who are pushed for time in their day and are struggling to get regular exercise. A 20-minute workout with HIIT burns more calories throughout the day than any other form of exercise.
To undertake any form of sustained programme of weight loss takes motivation and self belief so always start by reminding yourself what your weight loss goals are and why this really matters to you. It is also important to consult with a professional personal trainer if you are unsure what the best route to weight loss is for you. There are so many different methods of training, some more suited to different individuals than others. It is important to find one that works for your body, your lifestyle, and your goals.